This week Austin went on his first official date. Although he has had a couple 'girlfriends' their contact had been limited to in-school and after-school functions, texting and spending time on oovoo. This weekend he went ice skating with his girlfriend without parent chaperons and as a gentleman bought a hot chocolate and a cookie for the both of them.
I have to say I am not sure I am ready to have a son who is "dating" and all the fun stuff that this ultimately includes. We had a brief talk in setting ground rules on not doing anything either of them are not comfortable with like kissing. Much too my surprise the response was "She doesn't mind that we kiss." So mark that up as another first for Austin both a first date and a first kiss. Here I thought the year would be firsts for Gabby and Michael not Austin. Of course as a result this was shortly followed by more ground rules on behavior that is and is not acceptable.
Oh young love!!! I reflected just a moment on my 'boyfriend' in 8th grade. Before things got serious and complicated in relationships, when things were fun and exciting. Hopefully he takes the time to enjoy the simple things for a while because, I am not sure I am ready to handle the conversations around the more "complicated" parts of relationships yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment