We
are a year into the diagnosis and still setting in and every now and then I
have these ‘Autism Epiphanies’ you know moments where you realize the impact
the diagnosis has on day-to-day activities and what that might mean long-term.
For
example; at gymnastics we came out into the parking lot and there a moms (with
kids the same age) standing by their cars just chatting with their 3 years
standing right next to them, not holding hands and not running. At the time my husband was attending with me
because we had both toddlers in tow and I said: “Did you see those two women?
That will never be us.”
So
when these type of things happen I try to stay away from heading down a rabbit
hole of all the things that may be (or may not be in most cases) It breaks my
heart to think how much more challenging his world is then his peers and the
joy of certain things he doesn’t understand or get. Like Christmas – the excitement
of being a kid the night before I don’t know that he will ever get to truly
enjoy that anticipation. Sometimes I go so far to think he will never fall in
love, have a crush or be nervous about a first kiss. There are so many magical
moments in our life that we have and they pass by in an instant and only when
we reflect do we really understand the magic the moment had. Although, these thoughts break my heart they
also allow me to have a greater appreciation of those moments in my life. I
hope that he will enjoy more of them then I think over time or that I can
create special magical moments just for him.
Until
next time……
No comments:
Post a Comment