Sunday, October 7, 2012

Lost Time

I lose hours on a daily basis almost just reading. Although we don't have a diagnosis for Michael yet I feel like I know what is coming and he is more than likely autistic. To help myself hopefully cope with that once the words are spoken I read about it - a lot.  I can't imagine how much time I will lose daily if that is the diagnosis.

What I am finding though is there is just no good answers.  I really want something that says - do this and do that and you will get the best result for your child.   We have started to take steps to remove gluten from his diet and have limited background noises when he is awake to nothing. I think he is starting to babble more but, in all honesty I don't know if he is or if I just want him to be. 

Part of me still hopes that we find out he is in the 10% of kids that are just late talkers and then we can proceed as normal once we get him talking.   If that is the case I have obtained a whole new respect for parents of autistic children and how frustrating it must be to really not have the answers you need or want. Instead they are having to constantly "pilot" new things with their child to see what gets them best result.

When Austin was little he had ear infections from the time he was 15 months old straight through 23 months old. We were at the doctor every other week for antibiotics and as a result he also had delayed speech. The difference though was we knew why, except for a little difference of opinion between his pediatricians, I was told - he needs tubes.  So I had a problem and a clear direction on how to fix it.  It worked! Not only did he stop having ear infections but, his speech picked up rapidly so he was within the normal range.  With Michael I am still searching for that clear direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment